From the Research of John Thom McKinley Girvan ( 1920-?)
And Gloria Girvan Akin (1922-2003)
- The First William was the youngest of the three Girvan brothers who emigrated to Jamaica from Scotland early in the nineteenth century.
- No details exist of his wife, Margaret Parker.
- William and Margaret had 4 children, Margaret (1830-1916), Jeanie (1834-1897), Mary (1836-?), The (Second) Thomas (1838-1887).
- Margaret married Andrew Lawson McMurtrie, Jeanie remained single, Mary married Thomas Austen and Thomas married his first cousin Mary Ann Girvan.
- William’s brothers John and Thomas left Scotland for Jamaica in 1825 when William was 20 years old. Did William accompany his two older brothers?
- Did he come to Jamaica in 1825 and return later to Scotland to be married?
- Did he then return to Jamaica after the birth of his first child and buy the properties Oxford Pen and Ireland and settle in St. Thomas?
- Through documentation we know that William’s son, Thomas (1838-1887) had those properties, Oxford Pen and Ireland in Jamaica. Did Thomas purchase them or did he inherit them from the estate of William?
- At William’s death in 1853, Thomas would only have been 15 years old so it is unlikely that Thomas purchased the properties.
- More research is needed to get information on William and his wife Margaret Parker.
Two Daughters of the First William Girvan
And Margaret Parker